Monday, December 31, 2012

Dec 22, 2012 Informal Winter Solstice Celebration

This year for winter solstice I celebrated informally. I joined my technopagan community for a dance party to celebrate the return of the sun. We danced the evening away on the scenic Toronto waterfront. There were lovely ladies dressed as winter deer on stilts, a drumming duo, LED hula hoopers, and lots of fun and fabulous costumes. I shared the day with a good friend, we had a meal together in preparation of our evening out, as well as chocolates and drinks. We dressed up in similar outfits and had a blast seeing many friendly faces. By the altar was a sign that read something along the lines of: Write something you would like to let go of from the past year on a piece of paper, and go outside and set it on fire and release it to the waters below. For me, since the winter solstice is a time of renewal and awakening, I felt more attuned to the idea of recapitulation of past successes as the new solar cycle begins, so I opted not to participate. I read an article in Yoga Journal about recapitulation and when I returned home from my journey to the city, and I spent some time releasing the hardships and celebrating the blessings so that I could more forward with the sun. I spent some time thinking about new year's resolutions, things that I would like to be born at this time and grow over the next few months. I came up with the idea of finally getting that YMCA membership I've been meaning to get for the past year. Part of that is the continuation of health and fitness goals that I'd sprouted in the fall, when I began to work out at home. A second wave of this plan was asking for home fitness equipment for Christmas (Which I still celebrate with my family and friends) and so carrying that forward into the new year by adding a gym membership felt like a good fit for the rebirth of the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment