Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Home Shrine

This is my shrine! It lives in my bedroom on two shelves of my bookshelf. I use it for ADF high day rituals and daily devotionals as well as any other rituals I perform indoors. I also use it as a meditation altar by lighting the fire candle and a stick of incense to ground, center and focus before I begin a trance journey. I rearrange the shrine from time to time as I add or replace things, but this is what it looks like today:

 
This is the top shelf of my shrine, where the fire, well and tree reside. I also have other altar tools on this shelf.

 This is the bottom shelf of my shrine, where the idols reside. I also have an offering bowl, shot glass and incense burners for offerings.

 The right side of the bottom shelf has two incense burners, a plain wooden one for the gods and a leaf-shaped one for the nature spirits. There is a candle with grape motif for Dionysus, a Rafiki figurine representing Thoth, a wooden statue representing Herne, two Buddhas, an eagle representing my Dad, a key for the gatekeeper and a shotglass for drink offerings to the ancestors. 

 The left hand side of the bottom shelf has a wooden offering bowl for the principal kindred of a rite, a shell dish and candle for Aphrodite, a wooden statue of Gaia, a statue of Bast, a winged woman representing the Universal Mother goddess and a statue of Ma'at.

 The right hand side of the top shelf has the fire candle in a lantern, an athame, a bell, an antler representing the world tree, a piece of birch bark also representing the tree, a box containing divination bones, a pine cone for the nature spirits and a mini drum for the ancestors.


The left side of the top shelf has quartz crystals representing the Earth Mother, a wine glass with water and coins in it representing the well, a chalice for the blessing waters, a candle snuffer and a wand.

I would like to have a representation of the world tree that looks like a tree, a small cauldron for the well, and representations of the other gods I honour in my daily devotionals, who have touched my life such as Odin, Athena and Kali. I keep my wand and athame on my shrine because although I am practicing ADF, I also practice witchcraft and often use the same shrine for those workings.

No comments:

Post a Comment